We have a small parking area with metal halide light fixtures. They are 175 watt med base, GE brand "Garage Gard". They are on and running 24/7. The mounting is surface on the ceiling which is about 30 feet high. To high if you ask me for 175 watt.

There is no maintenace of any type done except changing bulbs when they burn out. Last change out there were 3 exploded out of 5 changed. One melted the plastic diffuser leading to a fire department call.

The boss wants me to drop them somehow to improve air circulation so they will not overheat.

Based on info that I have read the best way to stop explosions is to cycle them an hour a week and to change them out around end of life.

Anyone else have trouble with exploding bulbs?

To sum up, how important is it to cycle the bulbs if they burn 24/7? Also how important is it to change the bulbs at the published end of life?

My biggest fear is that we will do all the above and they will still explode and I will look stupid.

I have tried to find something in writing on the net preferbly by NEMA or something offical like with no luck.