ECN forums is an open forum on the internet, and I like it that way. _Anyone_ can join, post, read the answers, etc.

As I've said in the past, I am not an electrical contractor nor a licensed electrician. I work in a lab studying and designing high performance electric motors. I've been studying code because I want to know what the view will be like from 'the other side', when my systems will eventually be installed. I've also been studying code because (like many people) I like to do repairs on my own home, and don't want to be clueless about doing so.

One of the useful aspects of this forum are discussion of how to best accomplish various tasks; tips and tricks for mounting equipment, explanations of advanced theory, etc. However these discussion happen in a context that presumes a certain amount of training and knowledge. There might be a discussion as to weather or not MC cable is required in a particular occupancy, but if the conclusion is that MC is required, the discussion doesn't question the details of how to install MC; it is presumed that the questioner knows about proper MC cable clamps, support requirements, etc. If someone _doesn't_ know these details, then they do know enough to ask.

I have been noticing quite a number of 'DIY' questions lately. I have nothing against DIY questions, as mentioned above, I probably ask them myself. Furthermore, I believe that the electrical trade _should_ find a way to educate consumers, enabling people to safely perform limited work while at the same time recognizing their limitations; simply saying 'hire an electrician' is _not_ sufficient, both because of financial reasons and because an educated consumer is an essential part of the safe use of electricity. But DIY questions cannot be answered in terms that presume electrical training.

I would strongly encourage DIY questioners be gently redirected to the various DIY forum sites, for example http://forum.doityourself.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9 . I would also encourage those sparkies who like sharing knowledge to watch/participate in the above forum, rather than doing so on ECN; I believe that this can be a useful community service, but IMHO should be in the context of a forum dedicated to such.

-Jon

(edited because I said 'this' forum, but did not make it clear _which_ forum I meant!)

[This message has been edited by winnie (edited 06-07-2004).]