Here is the situation:

We are to install light fixtures on a walking bridge. The engineer's design calls for a fixture that fits between the 1/2" square steel pickets on the handrail which are about 4" apart.

The designated fixture is designed mainly for concrete pours but the cut sheet says that it is suitable for all types of construction.

Working with the engineer, we designed a template and a clamp that would hold the fixture backbox firmly to the pickets. We also installed 1/2" IMC stubs from under the bridge up about 35" to the fixture. The fixture backbox has a 1/2" opening but it is not a threaded hub.

When the owner examined the fixture and reviewed our proposed mounting means he suggested another option.

Instead of using the template that we designed, he wants to have the trims custom made (larger) so that they will function as a clamp and hold the fixture in place.

The only problem is that when the trim is removed for relamping the IMC and it's locknuts will be the only thing supporting the fixture. In other words, the fixture will not be securely mounted during relamping.

I don't feel that this method of mounting should be allowed but I can't find a good "code" reason not to do it.

What do you guys think? Am I over reacting?