OK John I’m getting it,

10.4 for K is believed by most to be more accurate with 12.9 being to conservative. Right?

Doubling the length is the same as using 2k in my calculation. Sorry for being so dense sometime I rely on formulas to much and forget basic math.

My problem is that I have 170’ run with the first 100’ to a heavy stone deck. The 7 lights and 70’ of #12 wire are all underneath. They even have a wire coming out of the last fixture so more lights can be added later! I didn’t create this problem and would normally pass on a job like this (you know messed up by others), however, this landscape contractor is good for twenty to thirty thousand gross a year.
I’ve told them we may want to install transformers at each end (the tail may be useful after all). They (home owner and job foreman), however, think it is just a bad transformer and will replace it first. On things like this I usually just wait then someone 2 or 3 tears up the rung will call and I will finally be listened to.

I prefer putting a transformer at each end. If I install just one at the 1st light with the #12 wire the drop will be over 5v.
Would anyone consider putting a larger transformer on a circuit like this? I know they will ask. If yes how large would you go? Even if I get 12v to the first light then the last light would still be noticeably dimmer!

Sam