An estimate for a rewire turned into a troubleshooting call today... "Getting shocked by the tub" was the red flag...

Sure enough, (while in the middle of panic on another job to finish a rough-in...) the volt-tic was singing and flashing when touched to the drain... The Fluke read 35 Volts to the water pipe...

Dismantling the vanity light-medicine cabinet provided no answers, but it is on the same circuit...

So I go down in the basement to see if I can find any voltage readings that were equal or more than 35V to hopefully point me to the source... Testing with the volt-tic first, I found that it would readily sing even on the renovated PVC drain pipes connected to the tub and sink !!!

Running out of time and needing to get back to the jobsite (Allegheny Power had shown up to connect...) and after finding out that the tub had been recently reglazed and the customers were to not use the tub for another five days anyway, I begged them to allow me to return tomorrow, and to please not use the tub or sink until I say it's OK...

Anybody got a guess?

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 08-21-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI