Redsy,

My kit is a 13 piece ROC, but I only use 7 pieces now [1 kick drum, 3 ride toms, 1 floor tom, 1 8" tom for accents, and the snare drum]. Use to have the whole kit setup, but it requires too much real estate!
Have 5 cymbals [only using 3 now], 20" ride [just a common Zildjian one] and 14" Zildjian Platinum Hihats [they have a great sound].

Bought the full kit [less all the cymbals] for $650 back in July, 1988, from a close friend. He paid $1,750 for the kit, which was new.
In 1990, I upgraded all the hardware to Pearl type with the 3 screws and speed lock keyways, because the original ROC hardware really sucked [always breaking!]. The mount adjustments were done with the tension ball deals [typical to some Tama hardware, but 1/4 as sturdy]. They were always stripping out! I have no trouble with the Pearl hardware - even with the many teardowns, moves and setups I have done to the kit.

When I did the hardware upgrade, I also refaced the bearing edges [head contact spots] and sealed some bad spots on a few toms.

I'll tell ya, that made them sound great!!! Got many compliments on the sound!!! Remarkable for a semi cheap kit.

The ROC kits were advertised in Modern Drummer from 1987 to around 1993 [last time I read the magazine [Linked Image]], so if you read that mag, you probably saw the ad.

When I was a drum tech, I worked with Rodgers, Pearl and Tama kits. Only sat on 1 old ludwig kit at some guys house.

I use 2A and 2B sticks, mostly 2B. 5A/B are too light for me to get a good feel.

Need to hit Guitar Center for new heads soon. These heads are 7 years old and are nearly impossible to get any crisp sounding tones - either muddy flat [fall back to flat after 3-4 days], or ringee bright sharp. Very hard to get right in tune.

This is cool talking drum stuff! Been a long time for me!

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!