DougW:

Saw a thread here a while ago about the booming business of faking UL/CSA labels - IIRC, US Customs has several shipping container lots full of fakes - "labeled" and "listed" stem to stern.

I've read something like that also.

It mystifies me as to why its done because you don't need to have most small electrical devices (like triple-taps, night-lights, plugs, fans and extension cords) listed by UL in order to sell them.

So....why risk confiscation and fines? Just sell the darned things without the UL label....people will still buy them. In fact, I have some radios, extension cords, light-socket adapters, a power strip and even a 100 watt soldering gun (bought that yesterday) that are not UL listed. I even had a Taiwanese electric fan that was sans UL listing but that sucker died a few years back....

Now, I'm not condoning the purchase of non-ETL certified gear, but the fact is, it's available. Easily. Go to any dollar store or job-lot discounter.

So, why do these manufacturers go through the hassle of counterfeiting the UL certificates? [Linked Image]