Last week, I noticed something trying to scratch it's way into my fireplace (I had never actually made a fire in it) and some small bones were falling from the area of the flue damper.

Not knowing what was in there, and not wanting to take any chances, I had someone come out to clean the chimney, etc.

After the guy brushed out the chimney from the roof, we made a clear path between the fireplace and the front door while I kept the door open.

I had the children well out of the way, and was hoping it wasn't going to be some 4-legged whatever.

Once the damper was opened, a bird flew out the door (the kids loved that) and then another one came out and banged into the window, shook it's head a bit and then flew out the door.

There were about 10 skulls from birds that were not as fortunate.

New cap, clean flue, and to top it all off the liner looks good. I still don't trust making a fire in there, except maybe one of those small paper-wrapped logs under close supervision.

Got the heater flue checked as well, for good measure. For some reason, there was a cap on the heater flue at the chimney but not the fireplace flue. That was one of my "round tuit" projects that came up sooner than expected.

It really is flu(e) season!