Hello Kinetic! Glad my reply was helpful.

To address your reply properly, I'll "Quote" certain parts.

1:

Scott35- I have been depending on other contractors more and more lately for advice.......particularly plumbers. They seem to have this all figured out.

Use their scenarios for "Real-World" modeling, and possibly to find more effective paperwork methods (filing, forms, etc.).

2:

Where exactly would I purchase basic templates?

Check online sources, along with book stores for the Construction Industry.
Browse the resources available here at ECN (likely to find all you need), or do a "Google" search for "Construction Documents" or something similar.

Many Bookstores for Construction Industry related trades will have these items too. Check either online or in real time (walk in).

3:

I would like to use them as more of a reference for the type of information I should be keeping.

More than this, use them for basic templates to build on - and as descriptions of how to insert automatic / template functions (if they have that level).

One very large consideration of any Company's quest for the best documentry methods, will have to be the complete Logistics of documents - Hard Copy and Soft Copy.

The entire scope of proper coordination is complex, but with good forethought and an effective plan, there will be very little error and loss once they get applied.

One needs to coordinate the "Hard-Copy" parts (what is on physical paper) with the "Soft-Copy" parts (what is on computers), and always follow up on each others' status.

Creation of an effective - yet error-free - Office enviroment for Documents, should be done ASAP and agreed upon by all involved.
You have taken the best first step possible! Asking for working examples for input is the best thing to do, so you can see how others do it - and base an example for yourself which should work well with others.

Very many things to describe here, so please ask away for further info.
If you prefer to contact me directly via E-mail, that's OK with me!

Good luck

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!