Sorry to bring this topic back to life, but it appears that all of the great suggestions here are just turning into dead-ends. Probably because of the SF Bay's bad economy at the moment. I've tried all the local IBEW's. The one or two that are taking applications (in April) are telling me the wait is a *minimum* of one year. I checked the IEC which isn't taking any applications.

It looks like the only avenue left would be for me to contact local electricians directly. Can you guys give me a little detail on just what it is I ask for? Inotherwords, I will send my resume and a letter. In the letter do I say that I want to work as an apprentice or do I not mention that? How does my work get credited towards certification? Then do I also need to enroll in classes at the same time?

Also, from what I can tell, California has no certification program (looks like they're working on it). It looks like all I have to do to be a licensed electrician is to be licensed with the Contractors State License Board. Can this be right?

Thanks again for all the help.

[This message has been edited by salewit (edited 01-15-2004).]