Day 1..
..After a harrowing morning on the phone with my supply houses,I finally found one who would deliver the 960'of #500mcm THHN to the jobsite...Everybody was closing early yesterday,and I had to act fast...$2.84/ft. for copper!!! My prtner in this job grossly underestimated the cost per foot..He figured about $1.50/ft..oh well,we're already losing money...I then had to "fly" to the PSE&G distributing yard and pick up the 3 new 400a.CT's,as the old ones were toasted...At about 12:00pm, we finally ripped out one set of the old char-broiled #750mcm,aluminum wire from one of the 4"pipes..We were able to pull in the new set of 4-500mcm.copper to the CT cabinet.Now comes the NIGHTMARE,..when we pulled the other set out,the lines had evidently burned thru,and only 25' or so came out..the remaining 60"+ was still welded together inside the underground pipe..After spending a small fortune at Grainger,my buddy's electric winch failed, and so did his block and tackle..we bought some new hardware...but in spite of ALL efforts to extricate the remaining wire,we failed..miserably!! That wire was not coming out,it must have welded itself to the inside of the pipe,and we couldn't break it..I told him that probably even if we succeeded in getting the lines out,the pipe inside must have slag deposits in it,if...it isn't broken thru,and open underground..We are gonna have to go back there on Friday,and get a backhoe,and dig out the bad pipe..replace it,and then pull the new lines...Thats about it,for now,I'll keep you guys posted ....
AR

.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"