In another thread I asked why not lobby for more adoption of article 80.

After reading article 80, specifically 80.13 I am sorry I said that.

I found most of article 80 to be shocking in how much power it gives an AHJ.

I will post a few sections and ask for others thoughts on this.

80.13(4) Police, fire, and other enforcement agencies shall have authority to render necessary assistance in the enforcement of this Code when requested to do so by the authority having jurisdiction.

80.13(5) The authority having jurisdiction shall be authorized to inspect, at all reasonable times, any building or premises for dangerous or hazardous conditions or equipment as set forth in this Code. The authority having jurisdiction shall be permitted to order any person(s) to remove or remedy such dangerous or hazardous condition or equipment. Any person(s) failing to comply with such order shall be in violation of this Code.

80.13(7) To the full extent permitted by law, any authority having jurisdiction engaged in inspection work shall be authorized at all reasonable times to enter and examine any building, structure, or premises for the purpose of making electrical inspections. Before entering a premises, the authority having jurisdiction shall obtain the consent of the occupant thereof or obtain a court warrant authorizing entry for the purpose of inspection except in those instances where an emergency exists. As used in this section, emergency means circumstances that the authority having jurisdiction knows, or has reason to believe, exist and that reasonably can constitute immediate danger to persons or property.

I can see it now, the police want to enter a building so they call the AHJ and ask if there might be electrical hazards inside that need correcting.

Am I overly paranoid or do others think this goes a little far?

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts