I have some basic questions below that I hope you can help me out with.

I'm a teacher, nearly 40 and looking for a major career shift. I've always been interested in electronice, particularly solar and renewable set ups.

So far in my, I've had too much education. I'm very able in a work shop whether it be automotive, wood, metal work or construction. I've never met a starving electrician, so I'm thinking this could be an opportunity for me.

I'm in Hawaii at the moment, but ready to relocate to the states. Of course I would need some training, and I suppose take some classes to get licensed.

1) Can you give me the run down as to how a guy gets to be a licensed electrician?

2) What kind of training programs to you recommend, or not recommend?

I'm interested in some specialty areas, mentioned above, but practically speaking, it is practical to start with the basics and get a day job before getting into the special interest parts of the business.

3) How long are we looking at, from the beginning of training until I am actually making survival money as an electrician?

4) What areas of the country are good for a licensed electrician? I've had a look at N. Carolina and it looks interesting. If I'm going to relocate, might as well get set up in the right place. What states are to be avoided due to red tape or electrician unfriendly environments?