A number of years ago, I worked on a new house-wiring project where the owner made the same request. I believe what my colleague did was to place a receptacle inside the vanity and behind the drawer. This receptacle was cut into the back of the vanity and fed from the load side of a GFI above the counter top. The back of the drawer was either cut down or notched in some way so as to easily allow cords to pass over or through. Thus curling irons, electric razors, hair dryers, and similar items could be left plugged in at all times whether in the drawer or out. As an added safety precaution a DPST switch was used to switch both the vanity lights and the drawer receptacle on and off at the same time. In doing so, it would be much less likely that say a curling iron would be left on once put away (the vanity light would still be left on as well). If you use the DPST switch, and the GFI and lights are not on the same circuit, make sure these two breakers have a common handle tie (two circuits on same yoke).

Instead of running a number of cords over the back of the drawer and into the receptacle, you may instead want to consider mounting a cord powered recepacle strip inside the drawer itself (to avoid any possible problems with 406.4(E), mount the strip on the side of the drawer instead of the bottom). Then you would have just one cord running to the receptacle in the back of the vanity. This would also provide the user with more available tool cord length to work with.

[This message has been edited by triple (edited 10-08-2003).]

[This message has been edited by triple (edited 10-08-2003).]