Hi,

I have Halo "remodelling" cans (H99RT) that I want to mount in a drop ceiling. The tiles are Armstrong 1" nubby. The problem is that the cans are non-IC and say to keep the luminaire and box at least 3" from any insulation.

I can understand why Halo would say this as insulation could be set on fire by a spark from the fixture. So I tested the Armstrong's fire resistance. I cut a 3" x 3" square and held it over the blue flame of my stove. It performed extemely well. It would not catch or hold a flame, but would slowly turn brown and receed slightly quickly extinguishing itself. Given the performance of this product under such extreme conditions, would it really be hazardous to mount these cans or are such codes intended for other types of insulation that would combust upon contact with a flame or spark?

I am not going to mount these if they are unsafe. Period. But I don't see how the "new construction cans would fit this application.

So I have 2 questions:

1) What type of housing should mount into 1" nubby in a drop ceiling?

2) Is it really unsafe to mount these cans into the Armstrong nubby I've described or is it just a precaution by Halo to "cover their bases" knowing all the different types of insulation their housings may be installed next to?

Thank you,
Mike