I've contacted the utility... After I gave them my address, they were certain a 200A service was feasible. They wanted to make sure my existing triplex was coming off a pole. Apparently the weight of the conductors can be too much for a mid-span connection. I will have to remove a tree for the new service. Other than that, I just have to follow the guidelines in this document:
http://www.bchydro.com/rx_files/services/services2048.pdf

I also got in touch with the local Electrical Inspector. I explained what I was planning to do, and he thought it was a straightforward affair, so long as I followed the BC Hydro guidelines and the CEC. He emphasized the importance of proper grounding - suggesting a plate - and ensure the gas & water are bonded as well. He even offered to come out and assess the situation if I wanted. (I'll take him up on that after I take out my permit [Linked Image] )

You guys don't seem to be fans of used equipment... My 2nd-year instructor (who used to be an inspector, and a contractor before that) suggested a few good places for used equipment - a 200A fused disconnect especially. Should certain used items be avoided? Are some used things okay?

My idea of using a meter-stack was only for my purposes - it would be on my side of the main meter, after the disconnect. I have free reign to do whatever I like after the main disconnect - so long as it meets code.

Anyone care to comment further on the original question?

Thanks for the info so far! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by u2slow (edited 09-28-2003).]