A customer called in to report that the GFCI breaker to the heater on the spa I wired wouldn't reset. They first called the spa dealer where the spa & disconnect were purchased. They said to have the electrician call when he got there. When I got there I disconnected the load wires and the breaker still would not reset. I then disconnected the neutral pigtail (has no load neutral,L2L), still, it wouldn't reset. I removed it from the buss, now it resets. I figure bad breaker. Meanwhile the customer brings the phone out with the spa dealer on the line. He says, did you put the line neutral onto the buss in the hole between the two GFCI pigtails(there are 2-2 pole GFCI's). I said no, I put the line N on top of the buss and the two pigtails under it (each in a separate hole of course). He says, that's the problem, move the pigtails around on the buss so the line neutral is in the middle of the other two. I said I don't think that's it, I think it's a bad breaker.
Well I move the neutrals around like he says and of course it accomplishes nothing but I had to do it to satisfy the customer.
So then it becomes the dealer's problem. They send a guy out the next day who comes to the conclusion it's a bad breaker. (duh).
Then he tells the customer the breaker was possibly ruined because I didn't put the neutrals in the right order on the buss!
Has anyone ever heard of this? I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer so correct me if I'm wrong, but to me this is absurd!
Brian