While in the service I was around helicopters alot. (Often 20-30' off the runway as airfield lighting support*) But I have been in the CH-53D/E, and CH-46E.
[Linked Image from boeing.com] I was told NEVER get on one that was not leaking, that means it is out of hydraulic fluid. And no, I have not been on this particular one...

[Linked Image from fas.org]
I have seen these guys in two wrecks where I thought no one could have survived, yet no one was hurt. Knock on wood... Both turning with heavy unweildy loads suspended under them. One caught a fence with a shipping container with 20 guys on board. Hit the ground and rolled like a ball, everyone walked off with minor injurys.

* That said, I have seen 30 or so "Hard landings" while being so close to active airfields. My job for a major portion of my enlistment was airfield support. Runway and taxi lighting, fed by generators in a shed ~20' off the runways in Camp Pen, and Mogasishu. Pilots are often jokers by nature, and would often buzz my shack for fun and games. Cobras and Hueys have knocked over the crapper, one time almost with me in it, until I popped open the door and flipped them off. Ch-53's have torn up lighting, knocked over 60Kw gennies and other equipment. And once nearly killed me, by flying 15' off the deck next to a closed runway I was working on. To escape the rotor wash of loose gravel, I jumped in my van, and got the door ripped off. 2 years after I was out, an insurance agency came after me for the incident.

Anyway I have been on 53's and 46's for short hops, and one time got the oprotunity to spyrig from a 53 around a portion of Okinawa, and that was prohably the coolest thing I have ever done. 6-10 guys hanging from the bottom of the helo, probhably the closest thing to human flight.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 01-16-2006).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason