Hi Dave:

I's sad, but true that most coaches don't really know the rules very well, after you get past the basics of the fundimental playing rules.
Just like code, the rules take some effort to learn. Most coaches just don't take, or have the time to figure it all out.
That never stops them from arguing rulings on the field. The newest coaches are the biggest offenders.

During this years 10 year old district tournament, I was the base umpire, when a interesting play happened.

Bases loaded, one out. Batter hit a ground ball to the shortstop. The ball got by the shortstop. I Think the ball hit the tip of his glove, atleast thats what it looked like to me.
(Wether it touched his glove or not would not have change my ruling.)
After the ball got by the shortstop it hit the edge of the runners shoe. It looked like he was trying to jump away from the ball as he ran past the fielder on his way to third.

I signaled the safe sign, because the runner did nothing wrong. He ended up safe at third.
The defensive coaches argued the runner should be out, because any runner hit by a batted ball should be out.

Thats not true.

RUNNER HIT BY BATTED BALL RULE
If a runner is hit by a fair batted ball while he is on fair territory, he is out and no judgment of intent is required unless he is hit by a deflected ball, or the ball has already passed all infielders, in which case the umpire must decide if he intended to be hit to interfere, obstruct, impede, hinder or confuse the defense.

Rule 509(f) 708(f)
Russ

[This message has been edited by russ m (edited 08-31-2003).]

[This message has been edited by russ m (edited 08-31-2003).]