I'm not opposed to a state license, but I'm opposed to the way it is going to take place here in Texas. I'm not sure how many Masters are in Houston, but it is somewhere around 800. I'm #688. After I completed my apprenticeship, I went to school at night for a year and a half, and on my second try, I passed the Houston Master's test. I passed the SBCCI the first time I took it, some 6 months after I passed Houston. I've put in quite a bit of time outside of work to get my licenses. If you read the law on the site above, you'll realize that someone outside a municipality (which doesn't offer licensing) can get a Master's without taking a test. It's not right in my opinion. Not only that, I'm sure that the "standards" will be lowered.
The area's of the state that aren't being enforced at present, will still be unenforced after the law take affect. The difference for most is going to be more money for a state license, and 4 hours of class time per year. For people in Houston, I think, we will be required to have a city license as well as a state license. For me, my Houston Master's license isn't worth the paper it's written on because "word has it" that the number of Houston Master's will triple in the next year. I have to tell you, it hurt to see this law passed. I felt like everything I had worked for was reduced to ashes. But, what can you do?

Master of Puppets, going insane...
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX