I think you misunderstood "stress". Where the oh line makes the transition to cable and goes into the conduit there must be some sort of "electrical stress" relief. The link I posted should explain how the stress cone works. Briefly, the cable is a center conductor surrounded by a dielectric, typically cross link polyethelene about quarter inch or one cm thick. This is surrounded by a shield which is grounded. To make the transition the shield is cut away from the dielectric. This would result in a very high level of "electrical stress" at the edge of the cut shield without the stress cone. and would cause the cable to fail at that point. Looks like you understood that to mean "strain", as in physical load or weight. The weight of the pothead was likely carried by the oh line, while the weight of the cable in the conduit was held by a cable grip that works like a Chinese handcuff. The number of taps to the neutral that you explained would be right, two for the tranny and one for each of the three stress cones or potheads. Do a google search for "stress cone" and "pothead" and you should find more info. The Asahi Cable is the best picture that I found. After you click on the link the picture on the left explains what you were seeing. Except they call it an "earthing" wire.

[This message has been edited by Ichabod (edited 07-05-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Ichabod (edited 07-05-2003).]