Why are they called this? Was it originally invented by a guy named Despard (or a company?)

I'm talking about the interchangeable type switches and sockets that get fitted on a frame. I haven't seen one for sale in a regular hardware store in years.

As a teenager, I used to see the little sockets and switches for replacement use in the bins at one place (that is now out of business) but never saw the straps being sold.

Why did this system fall out of favor in the USA? There is a grounded Nema 5-15 socket for this system -- I saw it used in a shaver socket in Canada so it could be used here also.

Mexico uses a similar system, look at Swichi Mexico's offering http://www.swichi.com.mx/

The tradename for this company's line of interchangeables is "Snap"

Here is a picture of a two-pin socket module:

[Linked Image from swichi.com.mx]

Here is a picture of a single-pole single-throw switch:

There are also modules for three-way switches, illuminated switches, TV antenna jacks, phone socket type RJ-11, bell push and blanking plate.

Here is how you put it together:

The picture shows a standard RJ-11 phone socket, a blank plate and a TV antenna socket.

Mexico also uses the standard type American outlet. Makes sense, considering they're made there! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 05-29-2003).]