Hi Folks,

I'm a musician about to build a studio in my basement. I got tired of the half-wrong electrical "folk wisdom" on all the recording forums about how to wire a studio . . . so I thought I would seek out advice from real electricians. And judging from the responses to several searches, I know I'm in the right company.

Here is the situation:

I want to spend as little as I have to for my power to be safe, relatively quiet*, and reliable (i.e. enough of it!)

I don't know if I need just dedicated branch circuits, IG circuits, branch circuits from a subpanel, balanced power, separation transformers, etc. or a combination of the above . . . I have some ideas about what I would need, but I am curious to know what you would do if you were in my situation.

I will need power to:

1 computer & display (CRT)
6 audio components (including mic pre-amps, interfaces, small mixer)
2 guitar amplifiers
1 power amplifier
Various small peripherals (USB hubs, etc.)

I have a small ADC UPS and Furman power conditioner (electrically speaking I think it is a glorified strip plug w/ some filtering and surge protection)

I already have some "dirty" power down there for lights and receptacles . . . but what do you think I would really need to do to meet my goals for the sensative audio gear?

Thanks,
Mike

*I don't know what the measurement parameter would be for line noise. . . but, in practice, this would mean the noise floor of the system could never interfere with the recorded sound.