Good link, Txsparky. I doubt that the GC used such a set-up tho. (I was at lunch when the fix was made, and by the time I came back they had it done and backfilled. I just talked to the backhoe operator briefly to learn about what they did.) Do you know if this product is marketed through national warehouses? Also, from the link provided, I can't tell if the splicer is approved for underground applications --- tho it would be pretty stupid to have it NOT approved for such situations. Anyone use this device? Looks like the split PVC is divided lengthwise only once, so that you would have to kind of pry apart the opening to slip the wiring through the slit, prior to clicking or zipping/gluing the seam together.

ElecVA and Frenchelectrican, I agree totally with your comments. That is why I'm surprised that the contractor I was working for didn't even care to look at it, nor question the laborer who installed the "quick fix". By the way, the grading was done before the wire was pulled, but they had to do some additional trenching for some drain pipe, and that's why they damaged the pvc that crossed under the new drain pipe trench. The conduit was fine until they started the final backfill and carelessly ran over the exposed conduit.

BiggladAnt, the wiring was just the usual thhn/thwn building wire, not any sort of direct burial wire.

[This message has been edited by Elzappr (edited 02-21-2003).]