Related question:
I can't find any requirement in the code calling for the simultaneous disconnection of 2 or 3 fuses, on ungrounded conductors, feeding a branch circuit. There are certain instances where that is required (such as multi wire branch circuits or feeders to a building or when using circuit breakers or appliances or ...). However, take my original example of a meter. I use tapped holes in MDP busses to mount lugs and feed three, separate (individual/single-pole), in-line fuseholders. The fuse holders are the insulated types that open up and the fuse (hopefully/normally) stays in the dead half. From the fuse holders, conductors feed a meter beside the panel. The only way to disconnect the meter from power,or to change fuses, is to open each fuse holder individually. However, the fuses, exposed one at a time, are "hot" due to their being in a 2 or 3 pole circuit trying to feed the meter electronics. I would think the fuse holder should be considered a disconnect satisfying 240.40 but why am I not required to simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors? There are modular and multi in-line fuse holders that can perform this function. Why are they not required. Hopefully I am missing something. Thanks