Training where I am can be a weird thing. My company is about 80% Hispanic (mainly from Honduras and El Salvador), with the remainder being about 5% black, and 10% White. I am Scotch (2nd generation US) and so am in the 2nd smallest minority of the company (about 70-75 men in total). To many of the guys, they have seemed to decide that they can not take on an apprenticeship due to the language barrier, despite the fact that many of them are actually quite skilled in instillation (some more so than me, much to my chagrin [Linked Image] but I don’t let them know, makes for embarrassing situations when the come up with a much better idea than my own J).

Now to combat this, the owner (may he rule divine [Linked Image] ) of the company is offering free English classes at the shop after work, but for some reason the only guys coming to the classes are already Foreman, or have large responsibility for a particular section of a large commercial job (Low Voltage, Fire Alarm, etc.)!

So it seems to me that there is some line that is drawn between those who want to be trained (and are actively getting said training) and those that are happy with being the guy with the broom cleaning up pieces of MC and other debris, and a much smaller amount who want to get ahead!

Where is the line between wanting to be trained and the company not having the time to properly train you due to a rush job, and the fact that some people don’t want the training despite the fact that it is being offered? Comments? Experiences the same or very different?

From an apprentice running a job through opportunity.

Pete

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 02-22-2003).]

Pete