Originally Posted by HotLine1
Trumpy:

My procedure for myself and my Inspectors when lifts, snorkels are required is OSHA Regs must be followed, Harness & lanyard and tie-off to the work platform.

Oh yes, all inspectors have hard hats, flame retardant safety vests, glasses, gloves, ear protection. Fire extinguishers and First aid kits in each vehicle.

Absolutely John,
I was lucky that I had a lot of training in height safety with the then NZ Fire Service (it's now rebranded as Fire And Emergency NZ), before I was even an electrical worker and to be honest, I didn't really like heights that I used to experience with the Fire Service, especially up on turntable ladders and Snorkels and I mean, if you're stupid enough to not wear your fall harness on something that is 30m (90') in the air and it moves backwards and forwards as the water pressure is adjusted and get thrown off, you pretty much only have yourself to blame.

One hard-case thing I did see a couple of years ago, it was totally WRONG and a builder got prosecuted for it.
There was a supposedly 6kN tie-off point on a local building here, which is fine if you're on the the side of the parapet wall and need to use the eyelet to clip your lanyard to, this had a piece of 17mm plywood on the outer side of the parapet wall, I thought this was for some sort of decoration.
On the other side of the wall, there was another piece of plywood, I grabbed the eyelet and the plywood on the inside of the wall disintegrated, having not been sealed or painted at all, allowing me to pull the whole thing out.
Now, I'm pretty sure I cannot generate 6 tonnes of lateral force with one arm, hence this was investigated and the builder was found to have done the job wrong.