Originally Posted by HotLine1
~s~
My point is that 'improper use' of electrical items (extension cords, power strips, etc.) are often the cause, and are listed as "Electrical" by the FD.

Bless you for that HotOne...

I feel there should be a classification that indicates the cause is 'improper use of'. The broad classification of "Electrical" reflects poorly on our trade. I have brought this up a few times at fire scenes, as the Fire Marshal was documenting the source and the crushed 16/2 extension cord remains, or the ashes of a power strip daisy chain.

The fire stat thing really is a long story, to be truthful anything either marketed or calculated as some risk factor against them are totally bogus.

Posters like Don (ResqCapt) have a good understanding of how this all works on a national level

Myself (as well as many many others) have anecdotals of fire chiefs looking down into a smoking cellar hole claiming it electrical in nature

Then he'd look at his token spark (yours truly) and say 'You get the job wiring it, putting it out, then wiring it again!'

This from a dude that wouldn't know an outlet from an omlet , and writes reports blaming our trade is not unusual ....

Basically that's what we get with no forensic funding

~S~