I just sat down to 'run some numbers,' and the results might go a long way towards explaining why we have trouble bringing folks into the electrical trade.

In my area, the 'prevailing wage' is $25.40/hr, with an additional $11.40 for benefits. In reality, a journeyman typically is paid about $18.00/hr.

I don't think I've seen a job in the past two years where I didn't drive at least 550 miles each week, just getting to and from the job site.

The IRS is using a rate of $0.575/mile for a mileage deduction, when used for business travel. While this is not deductible for the individual employee, the number is based on the total expense - gas, insurance, maintenance, depreciation, etc. - of operating a car.

Let's do the math: 550 miles x 0.575 = $316.25.

Balance that with 40 hours at $18.00 = $720.00.

Wages - travel expense = $403.75. That's just about $10/hr.
Contrast that with a 'minimum wage' of $8.50.

Make that minimum wage job a local one (say, within 3 miles), add benefits, paid holidays, and consider regular (not seasonal) work, and that minimum wage job can very easily come out ahead.

Now, for that electrician job ... to the reduced rate above, start deducting the actual costs of tools, work clothes, weather clothing, PPE, and your needing to store all that stuff. My license sets me back $50/year.

Dual purpose? I can't think of the last time I needed my pipe bender, fish tape, or roto-split at home.

High viz tee-shirt? $8. Flame resistant shirt? $50. Work boots? $145.

So far this year, I've had to replace a screwdriver ($20),
several hole saws ($80), diagonal pliers ($35), wire strippers ($25), pocket tool pouch ($12), and fish tape case ($20). That's not counting the various tools that were lost.

Wait, you say ... that mileage deduction is unreasonable! (After all, you need a car anyway- and much of that deduction is for 'overhead' expenses). OK, let's look at the car expenses that are directly tied solely to the work. With gas at about $2.00/gallon and 30mpg, my car car drinks $37 in gas, just for work. With periodic maintenance at around $70 every 5000 miles, add $7/week for basic maintenance. With most folks getting 55,000 miles out of an $800 set of tires, add $8 for tire wear.

That's $52/week in direct, work-caused expense for operating your car. Think of that as $1.30/hour. Assuming that I can somehow get that car and insure it for free.

I hate to say it, but the much-maligned job of flipping burgers is beginning to look like a better career choice.

A neighbor who rides a garbage truck for the city ($10/hr.) is certainly coming out ahead of me.