First: Bill, Calm Down! This is not a political rant.

It's the new year. As I understand it, everyone has about a week to apply for "Obamacare," UNLESS they are specifically exempted. The clock is ticking.

One of the big catches is the question: How much will you earn in 2015? Based on this, you will be quoted a rate that includes your 'tax credit.'

That's the problem. A very slight change - say, $5000 - in the actual income makes for a huge difference in the subsidy. How much? Perhaps $200/month.

The effect of this is that, come tax time next year, a "good" year will result in your refund being totally lost, and a requirement to pay thousands more.

This is especially a concern for those of us who have it hardest - the true 'journeymen' who chase work around the country. They might make the good money ($27/hr + $50 per diem is common) when they're working ... but the rest of the time they're lucky to get even unemployment. They have no way to know if 20115 will be a $20K year or a $70K year.

The application process seems to end with a 'figures don't match existing records' flag, and a request for additional paperwork from other agencies - paperwork the other agencies have no knowledge of. I mean: How can Unemployment tell them how much you are going to earn this year - or, for that matter, what you have earned in the past six months? Yet, that is what the ACA folks appear to be asking for.

Taxes will be fun this year, with (I'm told) a requirement to provide your ACA account number. Next year will be even more fun.

I can't be sure, but from here is looks like instant bankruptcy and perpetual tax liens for all but the very few who are 'exempt.'