Long-time readers will know that I am no fan of Milwaukee Tools. Simply put, I had a very bad experience with their customer service one time. Still, I have to give credit where credit is due.

Somebody at Milwaukee took a 'smart pill.' They're both developing promising new tools - and re-inventing some classics hand tools.

For the past month, I have been using this little dream od a bandsaw: http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwaukee-2429-21xc-m12-12v-cordless-lithium-ion-sub-compact-band-saw-kit/miln2429-21xc,default,pd.html?start=10&cgid=milwaukee-cordless-saws I find this saw as useful as my cordless impact driver, especially when working off of a lift. The one-hand operation and small size lets you cut pipe (or threaded rod) in place.

Don't let the little 12-V battery scare you. I've never needed more than two batteries for my impact driver, and the saw runs all day on one charge.

Another promising new tool is a hole punch driver ... but with prices starting at $1,400, I'd think long and hard before buying it.

They have a number of cordless rotohammers - NOT hammer-drills - that sure add major convenience to placing a couple anchors, or punching that one hole in the wall. $250 for a tool that uses my existing batteries isn't too painful.

Looking at their line of hand tools, they've polished up some of our basic tools. For example, they offer nut drivers that let a long piece of threaded rod pass completely through the handle- that can be handy when hanging trapeze from a sloped ceiling. (Level the strut, then trim the excess using that baby bandsaw).

Their tape measure can be had with both magnets on the tip, AND markings on the back of the blade. With so much of our work overhead, blade markings on the back of the blade are a real plus.