I'm trying to solve a problem late in the project with regards to LED light fixtures that have electronic drivers and need 0-10V dimming. I was told early in the job that the LED fixtures would be dimmed using line voltage. Later it was realized that this was incorrect since each fixture has an electronic driver/ballast that requires 0-10V dimming which in turn requires a power pack/electronic relay to be able to completely turn the lights "off". The problem is I have conduit running to JB's in the ceiling space that were intended for line voltage only. I now need to include Class 2 conductors.

According to the CEC Section 16-212 "Separation of Class 2 circuit conductors from other circuits", subrule (4):

"Subrule (3) shall not apply where the conductors of a power circuit are in the raceway, compartment, outlet box, junction box, or similar fitting for the sole purpose of supplying power to the Class 2 circuits, and all conductors are insulated for the maximum voltage of any conductor in enclosure, cable, or raceway, except that no Class 2 conductor installed in a raceway, compartment, outlet box, junction box, or similar fitting with such conductors of a power circuit shall show a green-coloured insulation, unless such Class 2 conductor is completely contained within a sheathed or jacketed cable assembly throughout the length that is present in such a raceway or enclosure."

My interpretation of the above is that I could bring line voltage and Class 2 conductors to the electronic driver/ballasts in the same conduit/raceway without a code violation as long as they are dedicated for the electronic driver/ballast only - correct? Any reason why you wouldn't do it that way?

A malfunction at the junction
--------------------------------------
Dwayne