I took a call yesterday that took me to a mobile home DEEP into the mountains. Customer states that when he tries to reset his kitchen circuits the breakers will trip.

I found that the 12/3 homerun for the kitchen counter circuits had likely been attacked by varmint someplace. Both phases were shorted together and to top it off, were electrifying the metal on the outside of the mobile home, including the panel! shocked

I ran EMT from the panel and poked into the back of the first outlet on the circuit from the outside. Cut off the faulted wiring on both ends.

There was no bond between the neutral and the ground bar in the mobile home distribution panel. There is a ground rod and water bond to the ground bar, which was in decent shape. The meter and main breaker are about 250'+ away and feeds to the mobile home as 3 wires only in PVC 40. The neutral is bonded to the can and a ground rod at this location.

I installed a piece of #6 THHN between the ground bar and the neutral bar in the mobile home distribution panel to prevent the panel can from being energized should a fault occur again.

I left the bond at the main alone, considering that no ground wire is coming from there to the mobile home.

Did I do the right thing?

( I've been dealing with oilfield for the last 8 years and I'm helping our service dept out for a bit as they're incredibly short handed and overwhelmed.)