Interesting tale, Harold. I always enjoy posts from foreign countries laugh

Here in the USA - at least, in 49 of the 50 states - we seem to muddle along just fine without any need for inspections at the time of sale. Indeed, I can't see where the State has any business injecting itself into such a basic, private, transaction.

Not that things are perfect elsewhere. If nothing else,"Holmes on Homes" has educated a lot of folks about the shoddy work out there. An entire 'home inspection' business has come into being.

I should note here that Mike Holmes did a sequel, "Holmes Inspections," where he exposed the inadequacies of these inspections.

In my own remodel - a project that will go on for years - City Hall has a set response for me: No permit needed. They think I'm daft for asking.

Fellow property owners (and contractors) also think I'm a bit daft, as I am rather anal about what I expect. For example, my insistence on a concrete pad for the air conditioner. Others question my passion for correcting errors as my demolition finds them (but it's lasted this long ...).

Heck, I just may install fire sprinklers, just to keep the gossips busy laugh