Sure but PPE for some energy levels is a cotton shirt and blue jeans with safety glasses and gloves. In this case the circuit is under 50 volts and very low energy. In fact if it is an intrinsically safe output you could short the wires in an explosive atmoshpere without an explosion hazard. So PPE for a hazardous location might not be for an electrical fault but a gas explosion. Your arc flash gear may have a flame protection rating too.
The Canadian standard written from 70E puts the PPE for a single phase 120/240 volt service at a 0 which translates to denim or other non-synthetic clothing. At these levels there is no real ARC but a fault could make a lot of sparks and molten metal. In theory the voltage is too low to sustain an arc in the air.

Originally Posted by JBD
Originally Posted by mikethebull
It was my understanding that no PPE was required for 240/120 volts and below. I least that is what I read in NFPA 70E.

PPE is always required, when the system is >50V.

A specific arc flash study is not required by NFPA70E for certain systems (e.g. <240V fed by a 'small transformer')

There is no industry accepted method for performing arc flash calculations for single phase circuits.

No study does not mean no PPE.

Use the NFPA70E task tables.