Welcome back to the Middle Ages, my dear serf!

I've become convinced that 90% of the enthusiasm for "safety" is but a charade to impose authority and take away freedom.

Look at the basic premise: YOU are not smart enough to know what is safe, but some complete stranger in an office 1000 miles away is!

Most anything can be twisted into a 'safety' issue, giving despots a blank check to -at a minimum- practice 'seagull management' (swoop down, crap on everything, fly off).

Look at it this way: If the cops came to your door and said they wanted to check for drug ... wouldn't the response 'let's see the warrant' be reasonable and expected? Yet, some guy shows up at the front gate and says "I'm from OSHA and want to inspect," what's your response? Do you ask him for a warrant?

Imagine if, at the grocery store, you had to 'pass inspection' before they let you check out? It's only to protect your health, after all.

Even here at these forums, look at how many of us are so willing to write laws to impose on others. More is better, if it only saves one life, etc.

Don't let facts get in the way, either. A few examples:

1) Despite hysterical fears screamed in the press, returning to speed limits above 55mph did NOT lead to increased highway carnage- even for places with new limits in excess of 85mph;

2) The entire 'gun debate' is fraught with assertions that have long been debunked. "More Guns, Less Crime," which debunks these assertions, is written by a man who taught alongside our President at the U of C. Yet, the same tired lies keep getting trotted out, to justify further controls in the name of 'safety;' and,

3) Look to "Amish Country" for some insights to the 'misery loves company' principle. Over-regulated folks assert "it's not fair- we need to apply the rules to the Amish, too!" Note that folks don't say "The Amish are right- we need to trim back our government." This, despite plenty of testimony that Amish buildings don't fall apart (or burn down) any more than "permitted" buildings. This is even more impressive, as those folks still heat, cook, and light using open flames!

OSHA needs to be eliminated.