In all my days, I've never heard of ONE case where an AHJ was even wrist-slapped by the court system.

What motivates all of them is pride: no-one wants to look stupid -- particularly among peers.

As for career termination: that happens because one's bids blow up. Not in all my days have I heard of an EC going under because of UL issues -- or any other national testing lab.

Under no circumstances should any repair oriented electrical contractor ever step-up and offer quality assurance for materials not installed by his firm.

That's the insurance business -- and you're not even licensed for it. Some such boiler plate needs to be in your service contract -- yesterday.

All system verification certifications must be written with enough wriggle room to leave you off the hook.

If the other party wants that level of financial protection -- they have to buy an insurance policy backed by a financially responsible party that can and will be there when the bad stuff happens.

I would always have some phrase stippulating that inspection services do NOT constitute any measure of insurance -- since pre-existing conditions are un-inspectable in as much as they are buried within walls or underfoot.

Further, that Grandfathered elements may pose hazards (missing grounding conductors, etc.) even as they remain functional, and lawful.

Tesla