I seem to be having an issue. I came across several hazardous wiring situations on a house I'm helping my folks remodel. So far I have found an 18g lamp cord run connecting a 150w outside light, 2 20a duplex receptacles (both had burnt and partially melted), and a patio light to One 15 receptacle (I immediately ripped all that out). I have found the hall light where when I pulled the fixture down 1 1/2 inch chunks of wire insulation broke off leaving exposed copper, (no more hall light atm, thank you). Then, tucked behind a double switch plate in the bathroom I found a live wire with tape on it that just happens to heat up with cir 1 and cir 4. I have tried to explain that I think this is a bad thing. However, another electrician has informed my father that I am wrong and that this is acceptable. Am I stupid? Should I rewire this 50a panel, upgrade it to 200a and rewire with newer copper ground romex? Or am I just over reacting? serious question.

Also, because of some reason there are 1x6 boards all through the crawlspace preventing access except through cuts I make in the ceiling frown I cannot walk away from this place. Any other advice? Please?