What are the rules and how do you deal with HomeOwners or General Contractors calling for an inspection on your permit?

I have had this happen twice and feel its a liability.

For example this last time, I was holding out on calling in the final inspection until a progress payment was made. The HO\GC called it in and had the job inspected.

I called the city inquiring about this and how I can prevent it in the future. (I already keep permit #s to myself). I was informed that its not up to them and they had an 'interpretation' sent from the State saying HO can call in inspections. I asked for a reference number for this 'Interpretation' and was told one is not available as the number always changes when the 'Interps' come out.

This is in Michigan and the only info I can find that is in the realm of this is; 80.19 through 80.19.8
Electrical Code Rules

The worse case scenario that I can imagine is; A Plumber or Electrician does the rough. HO\GC completes the finish calls for an inspection, and passes. A week later the place floods or catches on fire. Insurance company sues the living hell out of Plumber or Electrician. Plumber or Electrician loses his business, house, wife, kids, dog and dies a slow early death. ... worse case scenario.

Probably not the right thing, nor is it the state's or cities responsibility to protect, but I will use inspections as a pawn. No payment.., no work, no inspections.

Discuss?

Shake n Bake