I am a handyman, and have worked for several electricians as a helper over the years, currently I have been doing alot of work for a house flipper. Everything from installing carpet and painting to swapping out fixtures, outlets and switches to new ones. Well this guy I have been doing work for tells me that every outlet/circuit in a house that doesnt have propper ground is required to have a GFI outlet on it. So if the line comes to the room to the light fixture and branches out individually to three different outlets all three outlets need to be a GFI. and in a circuit that runs one to the next just the first one in the series needs a GFI like a normal GFI circuit.
Working as a helper I have never heard of putting a GFI outlet in a circuit that has no ground. The whole reason to put in a GFI is to prevent a ground fault resulting in someone getting shocked or worse.
When I said something to the boss/owner about this he told me that it was required and that it was told to him by an electrical inspector in a house he did years ago.
This just goes against everything I have learned over the years....
Am I right in this or wrong? Seems like a total waste in GFI outlets when he could have just had all the breakers changed out to GFIs and be done with it... I looked in the panel and he has an electrician come in and it is a new panel. And from what I could tell all the circuits in the panel have a ground. Not to say the wiring is different and they loose the ground wire elsewhere in the house....
It just doesnt make sense to me and I would like to know what electricians think about it....
Thanks