Hi all. I have a setup with a diesel genset. This genset feeds a 3 phase panel (120/120/120). This panel has 4 double breakers, each feed a single phase panel, each of which has a manual transfer switch that switchs the panel between line power and the 3 phase gen panel. This has worked well for years.

What im looking to do is to automate this. Installing 3 auto transfer switchs is beyond my budget.

What im thinking is I will write a program that runs on a dedicated PC (on battery backup of course) that will watch the incoming power, and when we lose power, or a even lose a single phase...it will start and warm up the genset. Then it will wait a few minutes then flip each transfer switch over. I have writen a similar program for a smaller application that was in a communications shed in the woods. It worked great.

This is where my question comes in. Would it violate code in any way to have an electric actuator push/pull the handle of the transfer switchs from "Line" to "Gen"? I cant see how it would since this is external from any electrics and is doing this same thing as a human fliping the switch.

--John