I thought I saw a thread here earlier about the value of using insulated tools, but can’t seem to find it now.
Anyway, I had to do a meter socket change at the in-laws B&B last week, which of course means pro bono. They live an hour away, so in an attempt to keep my cost down, I packed my tools into the wife’s car instead of driving my 10 MPG gas guzzling truck. That meant I couldn’t bring my 28-Ft fiberglass extension ladder, so would have to use the in-laws 28-Ft aluminum ladder that was on site.
Let me just say, this is the first time in almost 30-years that I have ever done a hot overhead service disconnect/reconnect using an aluminum ladder, so was more than just a little nervous about it. I think this is probably also the first time that I felt the expense for the Cementex insulated water pump pliers and ratcheting box wrenches I bought a few years ago was more than justified. I don’t think I took my insulated gloves off once from the time I first touched the ladder until the time my hands were off it after my boots hit the ground. So, I guess all’s well that ends well and I’m glad everything was uneventful, but this is the first and last time I will ever do this type of work from an aluminum ladder.