Originally Posted by LarryC
So your experience is with the larger arrays. Do you feel that residential neighborhoods do or will suffer from the same problems?

Yes, most of the arrays I've designed were 500kW and larger and we don't do resi work.

From what I've seen and heard from the resi side though, the problems only get worse with resi work, there are loopholes around using licensed electricians for PV and many are abusing them (the loopholes, in case any of you think the electricians are being abused....).

There are a LOT of hacks doing resi PV work and they're giving the sector a poor image. How many times have you seen a roof with modules on two, three or even four sides of a roof? There are ways to optimize arrays in such situations (except the dreaded north side, which I have seen more than once now), but most of the bad installs predate string optimizers or don't include them.

I see a lot of 5kW DC arrays going through 5kW inverters when they should be going through 4kW inverters, the installer doesn't care, he gets paid either way, but it's a waste of the owner's and govt's money.

Lots of violations and bad design practice in commercial arrays too, one of the most prominent that I've seen is the use of a single 200 amp, 3 pole disconnect to disconnect three 200 amp combiner boxes, there are arrays all across the country like that, but there's not a single disconnect anywhere that's rated/listed to do that.

But back on topic, most utility grids can only handle so much PV contribution, too much and grid stability may be affected so too much resi PV can effect the grid and even a little can if there's a large PV array within the same grid block.

I am by no means an expert, but we have encountered just about every issue known dealing with all of the POCOs we've dealt with in Calif and some of them are clueless, blind leading the blind types that will repeat ridiculous regulations verbatim, but have no idea what any of it means or how it works so they can't form an opinion of their own. Luckily the worst offenders have created their own PV department and they are not involved in other POCO/Public interactions and as such they can't spread their infectious stupidity. Sorry, rant off....

Last edited by Vindiceptor; 09/08/11 06:34 PM.