I am a homeowner, not an electrician.

Within the next couple of months, I will be having some foundation underpinning work done on my house. It will consist of 5 or 6 piers 12 feet deep and about 12 inches or so in diameter. Also within the next couple of months I will be getting a new service panel. The piers will be on the same side of the house as the service panel.

Our water supply comes in through PVC, so I anticipate that the new service panel will be grounded via ground rod(s).

Is it worth the effort to try to have the grounding system for the new service panel tied in with the foundation piers? From what I have read this will require some effort on the foundation contractor's and/or the electrician's part to ensure that the rebar in the piers are installed such that then can be used in a grounding system.

When I spoke to the electrician about the new service panel I mentioned that we were having the foundation work done. He indicated that he didn't think that there would be much benefit ( perhaps in a strict cost-to-benefit sense ) to trying to do this.

Thanks for any information.