We had a thunderstorm here Thursday (18th). With not much of a warning at all, a huge pop of thunder went off right at my house. I've never heard one that loud. Sound like a cannon right over my head. I knew something was wrong right away. I had no water. Looked out the window and see a flood of water coming up at the street in front of the house next to mine. Lightning had hit the main water line from the city. Another neighbor of mine said he actually seen it hit and about 10ft. of water shot up in the air. It proceeded to flood my neighbors yard and fortunately run between our houses and down the road then down another street. We called the water company and police. To make a long story short, they worked all night til the next morning repairing it. I know, because it was about 40 to 50 ft. from my bedroom window, and I didn't get much sleep that night. Lightning had hit the same neighbors tree a couple of years ago. Seems like I read something like this in a post several years ago. Any theories why it would hit the water line? The guys had to dig down about 5 to 6 feet in the dirt, and cut asphalt about 4ft. square to fix the line. Seems like I heard something about loose bonding around water lines when something like this happens. Thanks for the replies. Pretty powerful lightning that would go down 5 or 6 feet in the ground:0

Last edited by sparkync; 08/20/11 06:42 PM.