It's my understanding that with all sub panels the ground and neutral remain floating or isolated from one another. The only bonding connection should exist at the main panel. Reason being, anything common between the house / garage / barn or whatnot could become energized should a neutral become open creating a shock hazard.

However, I am working on a farm location where there is a 100 amp overhead feed coming from the customers 200 amp service at their house, going to a 60 amp panel in a barn, and just before the barn their is a 70 amp rated sub panel mounted to a utility pole feeding receptacles. Their are no common conductive paths (by conductive paths I am referring to water / gas pipes or the like) between the house or the barn, and its quite a distance away. So given that there are no water or gas pipes that could become energized, is it a requirement to bond the neutral to the ground at the sub panel?

At the utility pole:
I'm wiring a 240v receptacle for a customer to feed a job trailer at the utility pole and noticed a couple things with the existing wiring to the receptacles:

First off, none of the receptacles had a ground wire. The only means of grounding they had were through the conduit fittings attached to the painted sub panel-box. I thought this was something not to be done, unless either the receptacles were marked as ungrounded or the ground prong was plugged.

Secondly, there are no ground rods around the utility pole. The only ground connection appears to be coming from an extra overhead conductor they ran from the barn panel to the pole mounted 70A sub panel. Is there not supposed to be a individual grounding electrode for each sub panel?

Thanks in advance,

Shaun

Last edited by Shaun; 08/12/11 03:51 AM.