Hello all. I have lurked around this site for awhile, but never posted. So...

For my first post, I have a somewhat 'thought provoking' question.

I am a 20 year veteran of this trade. I worked my way up from answering an ad that read "Electrical helper wanted, no experience necessary", to being a large commercial foreman, running projects nearing the $2 million mark.

I have built Nursing homes, 18 screen movie theatres, medical office buildings, A UPS facility, and a large variety of warehouse stores (Home Depots and Builders Squares)and other things I'm probably not recalling at the moment. I do quite well with all ends of the spectrum, from power distribution to all types of Low voltage systems (fire alarm, security, nurse call)and control work.

Through my years with various companies, I have worn all the hats, from foreman, to estimator, to project management.

I have always contemplated going into business for myself. As of late, I have become bored and burdened with my trade. I have realized that I have these feelings because I have become tired of performing for 'someone else'.

I know that going to work for 'myself', with the full benefits of such an endeavor going to my family, and not someone else's, would respark (no pun intended) my love for this trade.

Here's my question.Through my years, I have also seen the struggles, the stress, and the financial losses my employers have struggled with.

I am wondering, for those that took that leap into self-employment, was it truly worth the efforts. Is being your own boss worth the additional efforts, hours, and stresses. Or, having done it, do you sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be better to just put in your 8 hours, collect your check, and go home and forget the job until the next day?