We have had a rash of thunderstorms here recently. It seems like almost everyday we have the daily afternoon lightening show. The sky goes dark and the power flickers.

Saturday before Father's Day our church had a wedding during one of these. Well it turned out the storm caused a lot of damage. They lost the dimmer packs for the lights, tv lights, the sound system(amps, controllers, speakers, sound boards, etc) and the video system(HD cameras, 2 projectors for the 8 ft screens, etc.) Our church is on the cable network and streams every service with HD cameras so there is a pretty extensive audio/video department. So far the estimate is up to about $250k for the video alone.

They are meeting with the insurance people next week to determine coverage.

They are looking at updating the surge suppression. The utility has a system that you can rent for around 30/mo. This seems good except that because it is commercial it is not waranteed. From what I understand, part of the issue wasn't so much the lightening but the power flickering causing the equipment to cycle on and off. You may be able to shed light on this for me. I am pretty good friends with all parties at the church involved and would like a better understanding of what is happening.

Is there a device that you can install on circuits to cause the whole circuit to drop out if the power flickers? It would require a manual reset but would stop the power cycling.