Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and have some questions.

I know this has been discussed before, as I've read some of the archived threads about age and apprenticeships, but mine is a bit different.

I'm a 54 year old who has effectively been out of the workforce since 1991, due to a disability for major depression. I have worked some since then, but they have been in General Labor i.e. Retail, Janitorial, etc. Before 1991, I worked for 5 years in the Carpet Installation field. But basically, my work record is terrible.

BUT, it has been my desire for a long time to get into the electrical field. The work fascinates me, as I'm a guy who likes to use his head to solve problems, and I'm not afraid to get dirty.

I've done a lot of residential wiring in the past 20 years in a DIY field. In my area, I'm allowed to do unlicensed work for others while pulling permits and getting inspections. I've done a lot of studying on my own, but of course, the extent of my knowledge isn't what those of you have.

I'm not trying to gain knowledge about how to do this work so that I can apply it to a DIY job. I am wondering what you all think of my chances of being successful applying for an apprenticeship. I would have to take the math course through NJATC, and am willing to do that (the cost doesn't seem that high). But I just wonder how an EC would look at someone of my background, and if anyone could give me some tips for a good interview.

I am physically able, and am willing to do the grunt work that some of the younger guys don't seem to like: attic, crawlspace work, digging, etc. I can climb with no problems, and I feel good.

I've really been interested in this field for a long time, and I guess that's why my earlier work experience is so bad, because I've never had a job that really allowed me to use my brain.

So, opinions form ECs would be great. I'm considering applying next month for the apprenticeship though my local JATC, and would appreciate all thoughts.

Chet