John,

I have seen that type of install before. This one is a large tree farm. The main building is about a mile in from the street (Or it seems like a long distance). The POCO is bringing in HV cable to a transformer. Then from the main building back to the street, they are bringing a 200 amp feeder to 3-4 SS enclosures for pole lighting, auto gates, 120 recpt. etc. So the EC wants to run his feeder back down the road, go in and out of SS enclosures. Then in each SS box, tap the feeder, and go to a 6-12 circuit sub panel. Which will provide for misc. equipment.

My thought to him at the SS box was to enclose tap inside a small through, then nipple up to sub panel. This way, no open splices and there would be a main on sub panel to protect the tap.

His reply was that inside a SS box, open conductors would be allowed. He said that the whole enclosure would be rated for splices and open conductors. I can agree with him, but I think it would be safer my way. I know that "My way" does not mean the right way and as long as it passes the NEC it should be allowed.